Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Entering the Publishing Fray

Rejection sucks. I don't think it's something to which one ever gets desensitized. At least I haven't. And I've been through it plenty of times, especially as a writer. In fact, I've been so disillusioned by it that I haven't submitted anything in three years. But here I am, back at it again, some masochistic glutton for punishment, I guess. Either that, or maybe deep down I actually do believe in myself and my work.

Whatever the case, I've decided to make this round a little bit more interesting, at least for me. I have three novels completed which I feel are - or soon will be - publication-worthy. One of them I am going to send out the traditional way, querying agents and hoping to here the magic words "I'd be happy to represent you." Followed by the even more magical phrase "We've sold it to..." The other novel has already been through numerous agents. So I'm going to access the marvels of modern technology and make it available through Kindle, possibly iBooks, and Barnes and Nobles PubIt, if it ever launches. I'll go into more detail about my thoughts re: self-publishing - and how it is changing - later. But for now, I'm just putting a general battle plan on the table.

My goal with this blog, and with my Twitter feed, will be to track how each one is doing. Maybe give a running tally. X-number of rejections vs. online sales, or something like that. I'm not sure. I'm still new to this whole blogoshpere / social media thing. But maybe this way, I'll be able to look at things like rejection and acceptance a little bit more objectively, regardless of whether it comes from an agent or the reading community at large.

As for that third novel, it is still undergoing some heavy revising. Right now I have a list of agents to whom I'd like to send it. But maybe my mind will change during the course of this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment